...about things that interest me and are (hopefully) edifying!

But our God is in the heavens;
He does whatever He pleases. Psalm 115:3

Soli Deo Gloria!!

Monday, May 21, 2007

Seven Practices of Effective Ministry Series from North Point Ministries

My pastor has introduced me to this methodology - I really think it is a powerful and cross-applicable system. I am enjoying the book and I just found their podcast series.

Practice #1 - Clarify The Win
Even the best team can't score if it can't find home plate. In this conversation, we'll discuss the importance of clearly defining wins at every level of your organization.

Practice #2 - Think Steps, Not Programs
Before you start anything, make sure it takes you where you want to go. In this conversation, we'll discuss the importance of a clear ministry strategy.

Practice #3 - Narrow The Focus
The longer a ministry operates, the more complex it becomes. In order to maintain a winning organization, we must continually face the challenge of narrowing its focus.

Practice #4 - Teach Less For More
People are bombarded by thousands of messages every week. If the local church is going to be effective, it must cut through the noise. It must learn to say only what needs to be said to the people who need to hear it.

Practice #5 - Listen To Outsiders
Why don’t the unchurched people in your area go to church? Could it be because you’re focusing on who you’re trying to keep instead of who you’re trying to reach?

Practice #6 - Replace Yourself
We are all replaced eventually. The wisest leaders will extend their influence by finding and mentoring their replacements.

Practice #7 - Work On It
All of us work in ministry every day, but is that enough? Working on your ministry requires time to evaluate your work and to celebrate your wins.

2 comments:

Mark Williams said...

JD,

I read 7 practices about 2 years ago, and I firmly believe that it is one of the most practical books written in terms of methodology in ministry. I have re-read it, and even passed it along to others. Fantastic principles, and the book is fun to read the way it is broken up.

Reggie Joiner, one of the authors, is one of the main people I look to in regards to family ministry. He is outstanding. We use the curriculum he and his company has developed for our preschool and children. The websites are www.myfirstlook.org for preschool and www.252basics.org . Also, Reggie is the creator of KidStuf, which is our family program we do once a month to reach children and parents in the same environment.

I guess you can tell by my post that I think highly of the 7 practices, as well as Reggie Joiner and Andy Stanley.

oddXian said...

wow - excellent resources - I will pass these on!

See ya at the tailgate party!

...about things that interest me and are (hopefully) edifying!

But our God is in the heavens;
He does whatever He pleases. Psalm 115:3

Soli Deo Gloria!!


Post Archives by Week